Tour Cost: $485 per person (Based on 2 adults travelling together)
Fully Escorted, Daily Departures
Australia’s military history interest is focussed currently on the Centenary of the First World War. It is fitting that the significant events of that period should receive such attention, however there is another theatre, more recent in our historical timeline and closer to home, that is often overlooked. It is the area of the Australian 8th Division’s campaign in defence of Singapore.
The campaign was short, fast-paced and vicious. While ships of the RAN and units of the RAAF were part of Australia’s commitment, the majority of the action took place on the ground, in the southern Malayan state of Johore and on Singapore island. It is probably the least known of Australia’s commitments, mainly remembered for the long and terrible period of imprisonment that followed the surrender, rather than for the efforts to halt the Japanese advance through southern Malaya.
This fascinating day tour is operated by our local battlefield experts who have an excellent knowledge of all battles and sites in Singapore. The significance of each battlefield location is fully revealed and brought back to life for you, through the eyes of a soldier.
The Singapore Day Tour commences from 8am with a pick up service available at your hotel. The tour ends at 5pm with you returning to the hotel.
- Causeway – Completed in 1923 and 1 of 2 land links to Peninsula Malaysia. The Causeway marks the beginning of the end of the Malaya-Singapore campaign with the withdrawal of the British Army across the Straits of Johore on January 31, 1942. Standing at the right-most positions occupied by the 8th Australian Division we gain appreciation of the strait that lies before us, contrasted by looking at period photographs of the area.
- Kranji War Cemetery – A Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery where we pay our respects to the fallen
- Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve/Lim Chu Kang Road – The Japanese chose the northwestern coast of Singapore for their initial landings. The Australian 8th Division had defensive responsibility for this part of the island and the division paid dearly in the ultimately unsuccessful defence of the landing beaches. We will take a look at the some of the landing sites as well as see how narrow the Straits of Johore was on this side of the island to appreciate the environment that both attackers and defenders had to work in.
- Former Ford Factory – Site of the British surrender to the Japanese on 15 February 1942. The museum was reopened in February 2017 after a revamp of the exhibits. We will also visit the room in which the surrender negotiations took place.
- Lunch (at own cost)
- Battlebox – Underground bunker of Malaya Command at Fort Canning, it was here that General Percival made the fateful decision to surrender Singapore. Rated the #1 museum in Singapore for 2017, entry into the Battlebox is by guided group tour only. The tour lasts 75 mins. I highly recommend it and all of my guests have given it the thumbs up.
- Alexandra Hospital – completed as the British Military Hospital in 1938, we make a short stop at the site of a massacre of hospital staff and patients on February 14, 1942, just 1 day before the surrender.
- National Gallery Singapore – now home to the largest collection of South East Asian art in the world, the National Gallery consists of 2 National Monuments, the former Supreme Court and City Hall. It was in the latter building that the Japanese formally surrendered their forces in South East Asia to the Allies on 12 September 1945
Your Battlefield Tour Includes:
- Fully escorted tour with an English speaking guide.
- Pick-up and drop-off to your Hotel in Singapore.
- All battlefield excursions, scenic drives and sightseeing as described in the itinerary.
- Ground transport in deluxe air-conditioned coaches.
- All entrance fees as per the itinerary.
Like to Stay Little Longer?
Boronia Travel Centre also offers a 2 day option if you would like to relax and have a bit more time. Contact us to find out about our hotel options. We have exclusive rates available.
Rest assured, your booking is guaranteed once you receive confirmation via email. As we are based in Australia please allow up to 24 hours to respond to your booking request. However, we will endeavour to get back to you well within this time period to ensure your preferred date of departure.Enquire Now
I wanted to thank you for your wonderful service on our recent trip. Our guide was fantastic!! His historical knowledge was amazing and he delivered it in a very interesting way that painted a picture of the past in excellent English. We enjoyed his company enormously and found that his grasp of Australian humour was refreshing! I would recommend your Company to anyone.
“We would like to thank Boronia Travel for their exceptional organisation of our very all too brief tour recently. Our guide was exceptional and a great person. We were particularly pleased as he just knew everything and for my husband and son who this was for, were overwhelmed with his knowledge. We thank Boronia to being a part of it.”
Susanne and Russell Hardy
“…thank you and all your staff for another great trip. It makes it so much easier for this author to have everything in the travel department taken care of so well… “
J Hamilton, Brighton
It is extraordinary to find someone who is so experienced, helpful and willing to offer assistance…”
C Kelly, Aspley
You and your team should be very proud of your efforts. My wife and I have become a “two-person” promotional team for your tours – spruiking the depth and quality of our experience to anyone willing to listen!”
S Welsh, Melbourne
“We had a wonderful time with lots of interesting and enjoyable stories to tell…”
G Hickingbotham, Gisborne